Saturday, April 30, 2011

Narcotics, Nicotine and Esophoscopy

I met with my family Dr. to complete the FMLA paperwork and discuss my MRI results for my back.  I definitely understand now why they have back specialists and spine specialist because a family Dr. doesnt have a clue when it comes to that stuff.  I ended up leaving his office with an FMLA that has so many restrictions that I will be surprised if my company allows me to continue working, and a prescription for some seriously scary narcotics.  I only say that because I took one when I got home and I was WASTED most the afternoon.  And by wasted I mean that feeling really good not a care in the world feeling.  I have no idea if my hip and back hurt during that time and if they did, I dont think it would have mattered.  At any rate I determined that this is not a dosage of Vicodin that I will be able to take while at work.  I took another one in the evening and the second dose knocked me out completely.  It may have been the combination of the Vicodin and the Neurontin but yikes.  So that was appointment #1.  The second appointment was with the bariatric team at Grand Health Partners with the internist.  At this appointment you are asked your total family history and given an EKG to determine if you are heart healthy.  It turns out that I am heart healthy (thank GOD) and it appears that I am a candidate for the surgery.  Nothing will be for certain until the lab results are back and I have a Esophoscopy done.  I am not looking forward to that at all.  That is where they put a camera down your throat to look at your esophagus.  They put you out for it but Im still not a fan.  I will have that procedure done in the next week or so, wish me luck.  I was also told that they would be doing a contine test on me for nicotine prior to surgery.  What that means is that I can no longer use any type of nicotine replacement to help in my stop smoking.  I can not be around people that smoke or in areas of heavy smoke.  If a trace of nicotine is found on the test they will NOT go forward with the procedure.  I think I can, I think I can...I know I can!!!  Its not optional, you might want to light a white candle for poor Neil and Donny as they will be seeing and feeling the brunt of my withdrawals.  I guess its all about how badly you want it.   It was really nice to have Neil with me at my appointment, I love that he wants to be so involved in all of this and it means so much to me and likely to the success. 

On a more personal level, it ended up being an awesome day, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping and I was alive to see another day!!!  Neil dug out the other trench for the garden walkway and I am really excited to get that completed.  I hate that I cant do that stuff myself anymore.  I did however mow the lawn and weedwhip and Neil put down the Grub-ex to get rid of those nasty creatures.  I took some pictures of the awesome plants coming to life and I didnt realize how much I enjoy watching the plants grow, especially the ones I started from seed or bulb.  To me I guess its like some form of magic.  Donny and I moved the picnic table because I didnt want to bother Neil with it but I wont be making that mistake again....I need to realize that there are some things I just cant do anymore, it sucks being dependent on other people, its not my style but I guess this is where I have to give up the "control freak" factor in my oh so charming personality and let people help me.  Neil loves doing things for me so why not let him right??  I cleaned the fridge in the garage with some serious bleach cleaner because it was nasty and Neil fired up the grill and made us some burgers and dogs for dinner.  After dinner we relaxed in the poker room and watched The Notebook.  I have been dying to see that movie and I finally got to see it.  If you ever want to see what TRUE love is all about, watch that movie....I have lived because I have known true love.  I am going to end on that note.  Lots of love to those that are still following along :)  Thanks for playing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment