Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Matter of Health

Today I am starting a daily diary mainly so that I can look back on it and see the differences in where I am and I where I want to be.  I found out on Monday of this week that the pain in my hip and back area that is causing me total numbing in my leg down to my foot may be from a Herniated disc in my back.  With that being said it was also determined that the constant struggle with my weight has and will continue to play havoc on this pain.  I had some tough decisions to make in a big hurry and one of them was deciding to go thru some form of bariatric surgery to help me with my weight loss.  I have done a ton of research on the surgery and although I am terrified of being put under due to the negative reaction I had with anastesia 15 years ago I have also been reassured that processes have come a long long ways in the last 15 years.  I have also decided that the risk is well worth the outcome regardless.  I can not live in this constant state of pain.  It has affected my happiness and my ability to do the things that I love the most, such as exercise and work out in the yard for hours at a time.  Not to mention that I currently have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high everything else due to my weight.  It is my understanding that the bariatric surgery will help me eliminate many of these ailments.  I was one of those people that always thought the surgery was a weak persons way of losing weight, after doing hours of research I have discovered quite the opposite.  The surgery will completely change your way of life and you have to be ready to make one hell of a committment to it.  I have many friends that have been very successful with the surgery and I am excited to join them in that success.  You must be willing to make alot of sacrifices with this surgery and I am ready.  I have this amazing love for life and I want to live for a very long time, I am hoping with the help of my sacrifices and this surgery I will see those many rewards.  So here is where I am at with things:  I have an appointment tomorrow at Mary Free Bed to determine the exact cause of my pain and what course of action is needed to resolve said pain.  I have an orientation on Saturday at St Marys Hospital for the bariatric surgery and I am hoping we can get the ball rolling on this very quickly.  It is my intention to update this diary daily with feelings, thoughts, successes, pictures and failures.  I am sure there will be alot of anxiety in my life over the next couple of months but I am so fortunate to have an amazing support team to guide me thru this.   I am not proud that I have lived my life in a way that has forced me into these decisions but I am very proud that I have the courage and strength to claw my way out of this hell.  I will also be a non smoker as of this coming Monday and may God be with us all during that process.....

2 comments:

  1. I love you my friend and I will support you in any way I can. I am so glad we found eachother again and I really look forward to spending time with you from now on. I want you here with us for a very long time, so do what you need to do to make that happen...(me being a little selfish). Again, I will support any decision you make and if you need anyting, please know you can call me and I will help in any way I can. You are such a wonderful woman and you inspire me to do better for myself. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Spring, you are so very special and deserve to be healthy. Know that you are not on this jopurney alone..whatever you need just ask and it's done. Your strength and determination will serve you well with this journey...and with such a strong support team you can't loose. I will be praying for you my love!

    ReplyDelete