Monday, June 20, 2011
Walk, eat, breath and pass gas...
That pretty much sums up my activity since my surgery on Friday. The pain is so much better now and I am hoping to get off the pain meds asap. I was suppose to work up to walking 30 minutes per day and I already walked over an hour today. I am pretty darn proud of myself for that. Realistically there isnt anything else for me to do except learn to transition into this new life style. I am so fortunate to have Neil by my side on this journey, he has been my hero every step of the way. He makes me feel proud of my accomplishments and he has taken over the house so that I dont have to worry about any of that. He surprised me with an awesome Hammock to enjoy outside and he never left my side during my hospital stay. I am not able to walk up and down steps as of yet. I am anxious for the incision pain to dissapear completely so that I can see what my stomache really feels like. I can feel it when the liquids enter and exit the stomache which is pretty cool. I eat out of little bitty containers so that I dont accidently over induldge. I dont see that happening because your belly isnt going to let you do that. Right now I am only taking in about 1 serving of the protien product and about 50 oz of water. I am suppose to work up to 4 servings of the protien product and 64 oz of water. I have not experienced any of the nausea or light headeness since the surgery which apparently is unheard of. Must be the 10% of my stomach they left behind is made of pure iron!!! Or it may be that I have not waivered one little bit from the strict diet that was given to me. I am sure at some point I will get to experiene the joy of my stomaches rejection. I wont be eating "solid" food for a month yet so who knows. I am not able to sleep in my bed because I have to be sitting at a 45 degree angle to reduce the acid reflux. Fortunately I have a recliner that Daniel brought upstairs for me to sleep in and it hasnt been bad at all. Yesterday I slept almost all day and was only up to eat and walk but today I have been awake much more than I have been asleep. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will be able to transition back into my bed. Much of the swelling I experienced has gone down which was aweful when it was there. My hand looked like someone had blown up one of those latex gloves. The Doctor warned me not to weigh myself when I got home because he said I was pumped full of fluids and would have gained weight. Guess what I did when I got home? Yup and I actually gained 8 pounds while I was in the hospital. Most of it is gone now but I thought that was some crazy irony. Apparently they also pump you full of air because I have been passing that for the last couple days as well and that has made a huge differnce in how I am feeling. I hate the feeling of being gassed up and with all the other stuff going on in your body, the gas just makes it that much worse. I still have alot of water and gas to pass but hopefully I will be done with all of it in a couple of days!! I am staying as active as possible, the Doctor at the time of discharge said "you can do anything you want as long as it doesnt hurt". So I have been able to keep my garden watered as of today, I did some light housekeeping and Neil took me out on my first journey to Meijer. It felt good to get out if even for just a minute. At the rate things are going, I would expect to return to work the first week of July which is MUCH sooner then originally anticipated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
keep it up girl ,it's a long journey but in the end you wil;l be so happy,had a friend that had the bariatric surgery and itn took about a year but she lost 175 lbs. she now weighs 140 lbs and looks great. i'm praying for you .good luck . dave powers
ReplyDeleteFor some reason I can't comment on your blog. Glad you are doing well, let me know when you are up for visitors. I'll bring Bandit for a visit. I gained 13 pounds in the hospital, so don't worry about the fluid and bloating from the air, it will be gone in a week or two. Was your surgery open or lap? You mentioned incision? Don't over do it walking an hour at a time, might feel good now, but probably won't later. Take it easy, ttake your time, yo uhave the rest of your new life. Start buying smaller clothes girly cuz it is going to happen. I skipped some sizes on the way down and I think my body has settled on a size 8. :) I have been pretty stable the last several months but for some reason lost 5 pounds in the last week or two, prolly all the yard work. Take care Spring, thinking of you, let me know if there is anything I can do. Amy
ReplyDelete