Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pre-Op appointment


Ok so today was a super long day, I spent the first few hours in the morning doing some serious house cleaning.  I almost feel like Im nesting for the time I will be down from surgery.  Its like I want everything to be perfect so that I dont have to be worried about the house.  I am also preparing for a summer kickoff party that I host every year so there is quite a bit going on right now.  As for the pre-op appointment today, it started at 11:15 and we left at a little after 4pm.  We first met with a research nurse, then with the dietitian that reviewed what we would be eating for the next 2 weeks which is the controlled diet of 800-900 calories and it is purely protien.  They would like to see a "significant" weight loss during that 2 week period and when I say significant I do beleive they are looking for 20-30 pounds prior to surgery.  Or approximately 10% of your total body weight.  So that program starts for me tomorrow.  I spent a half hour just picking out the foods that I will be eating for the next 15 days and let me just say that all of the food for the 2 week period fit in one large bag and cost $200.  That included the supplements that I have to take as well so if you think about it, it really isnt that bad considering the end reward....After the dietician we met with an Exercise specialist that will be helping us develop an exercise program that is designed to work specifically for me.  I keep saying "we" because the pre op appointment was in a group setting and there were eight of us in the group not including the friends, spouses or relatives that joined for support.  Poor Neil was so incredibly bored he could hardly stand himself.  He is a trooper for coming along and for being next to me during every step of this so far.  I have a feeling that what he has seen so far is the easy stuff though, I think things are going to get rough before it all falls into place.  After the exercise guy we met with a Physicians assistant that talked in great detail about what to expect during each moment from here until about 30 days after surgery which are pretty clearly written out for you.  I will go into greater detail on these specifics as they are closer to unfolding.  After meeting in a group setting, I met with the PA one on one to talk about my medications and to give me an opportunity to ask any questions I may have regarding the next couple months.  The decision was made to start taking away my diabetes medication already so that I will not be fighting with low blood sugars prior to going into surgery.  I also weighed in and I WILL NOT be discussing my weight at this point because i cannot beleive how much I weigh!!!  UGGGG, so frustrating that I allowed so many factors in my life to control my eating over the last year.  I need to not beat myself up over it as I am now at least taking steps to improve my life.  After the appointments I spent a good 2 hours just getting the medications and the food all packaged by day so that everything would be ready for me for the next week.  I only did it for this week and then I will do it again next week.  I will be updating my blog much more frequently now as things will be happening with my body and my mind and I will be sharing those things with you.  Again, if you know of someone that is considering the surgery, please feel free to have them follow me on my journey, I look forward to taking alot of people along with me!!!  Until next time.....akuna mattada!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment