Sunday, June 19, 2011
2 Days Post Op and Im going home
I am pleased to say that the surgery is done but not as complete as we had hoped. My gall bladder turned out to be a much larger issue than we could have ever imagined. Not only was the gall bladder very enlarged and infected but there were also very large stones inside my common bile duct that needed to be removed. The common bile duct is necessary for your bodies fluids to pass thru properly and cannot be obstructed or removed. Since Dr Kemmeter had to perform work on that area he was not able to complete the 2nd part of the Duodenal switch which is the part that creates the malobsortion. Now I had quite the support group up here with me and apparently they were all called into the conference room about midway thru surgery to discuss some of these issues and the decisions that needed to be made. The end result was the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy with the ability to complete the switch at a later time if needed. I have done alot of research on the Sleeve Gastrectomy and I believe I can get the results I desire with this as a stand alone tool, it will take much more work and a stricter diet on my part but it is certainly doable. No matter what tool your given it is still a huge lifestyle change and mindset. Here are a few of the conditions I am experiencing right now, extreme swelling in my hands and feet that will likely go away within the next few days, extreme tenderness and bruising around the incision sites (there are 6 sites), I am still pretty tired from the narcotic pain medications but so thankful that I have them. The pain is alot worse than I thought it would be but I understand that just becomes a tiny piece of a very huge picture for the rest of your life. In other words, apparently once I see the results, I wont even remember the pain involved. I am actually going home this morning, thank goodness. Neil and the boys are all at MIS for the Nascar race for the day so Kelly is picking me up at the hospital and taking me home....poor girl is going to be stuck with me all day, I'll try not to whine to much!!! That is all that I have for now...im still pretty groggy so it takes alot out of me to think....lol Thanks again to everyone for your amazing support....and I will share my successes and my failures as we travel on this journey to my new life!!! I am ready!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment